Vespicula depressifrons - "Waspfish"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Daddyo72_*

Guest_Daddyo72_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image
Picture is of one of two of the wasp fish I recieved from the vendor. Picture was taken by him as well. He is indeed poisonous. The front three dorsal fin spikes. He is an ambush predator that sits at the bottom waiting for prey to swim by.

Edited by Daddyo72, 17 February 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Guest_Daddyo72_*

Guest_Daddyo72_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

No one likes my fish? *Sniff, whimper*

Edited by Daddyo72, 18 February 2006 - 05:33 AM.

#3 vespa_bicolor

vespa_bicolor

Wasp Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

Oh... I didn't see this earlier!

That's a cute and unususual fish! He looks somewhat like a scorpionfish; is this species freshwater or marine? I'm assuming freshwater, and I must admit I've never seen much about these before.

#4 Guest_Daddyo72_*

Guest_Daddyo72_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

Hes freshwater/brackish. I'm assuming that like some puffers they become fully brackish when they mature. They swim around a little, but basically sit and wait for prey. They are finicky eaters so I'm trying to work past that. All my preds eat only prepped foods I'm I hope to do the same with him though it may be a bit harder. With my others I could rely on their speed and the fact that they would nail anything that hit the water. This helped me throw in shrimp and get them to eat it. They would think it was the feeder goldfish I was throwing in and have it eaten before they figured out they were duped. :lol: The wasps on the other hand are sedentary slow fish that will pose a bit of a challenge but I'm up for it.:)

Edited by Daddyo72, 17 February 2006 - 10:27 PM.

#5 Guest_haroldo359_*

Guest_haroldo359_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

very nice. i am not a huge fan of fish, but that is sweet!

#6 vespa_bicolor

vespa_bicolor

Wasp Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

;) I know what you mean. Both marine and freshwater predatory fish which I kept in the past, such as groupers, snappers, cichlids etc, knew how to "wait" for their food after a while, and would strike and swallow anything I threw in after that, being more active hunters. But these sedentary species are more difficult to "convince". Still, I'll say you'll probably succeed, so good luck!

#7 Guest_bassteck76_*

Guest_bassteck76_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

That is a super nice looking fish.......I like the predatory species......we get in the Leaffish from time to time of different species......I Love Em!

#8 Scott-Land

Scott-Land

Superstition!!

• VL Supporter
  • 15,258 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:52 AM

Very nice! are these related to toad/stone fish? I once caught a strange looking fish, I think it is called a bat fish that resembled yours; but was even stranger looking.

#9 Guest_Daddyo72_*

Guest_Daddyo72_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Very nice! are these related to toad/stone fish? I once caught a strange looking fish, I think it is called a bat fish that resembled yours; but was even stranger looking.

I can say with a large degree of certainty that they are in the same family as lion fish of which there is a Fresh water variety. I'm not certain of the stone fish. I'll check. I did own a FW toadfish a while ago. It was the equivelent of decor that ate food. LOL

Thank you everyone.:blink:

#10 Duke

Duke

VL Owner: Ol' Nine fingers

• VL Supporter
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:14 PM

What an awesome fish!!! Love that fish!!! Do you have much information on the venom?

Its a very colorful and attractive fish thats for sure!!!

#11 Guest_Daddyo72_*

Guest_Daddyo72_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:36 AM

What an awesome fish!!! Love that fish!!! Do you have much information on the venom?

Its a very colorful and attractive fish thats for sure!!!

I've been looking for info on the venom. I'm quite interested as well. :lol:

#12 Guest_Apocalypse_*

Guest_Apocalypse_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

Congratulations on your venomous addition. It looks very siumilar to a SW species.

What part of he fish is venomous and what are the ill-effects of getting "stung"?

#13 vespa_bicolor

vespa_bicolor

Wasp Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hmm I believe they're in the family Scorpaenidae, along with marine scorpionfish and the lionfish, as well as the stonefish. Although some place the stonefish in a separate family (can't remember what or where I read that). The frogfish are in the anglerfish group, family Antennariidae (if I remember rightly, I don't think they're venomous!)

#14 MarknMiami

MarknMiami

VL Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

What a cool looking Wasp Fish!!...I haven't seen one of those in years!..Very attractive animal!

#15 fang2012

fang2012

Frozen Shadow

• VL Supporter
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:57 AM

WHOA! I wouldn't mess with him, he looks mean!! Neat!
Fang

#16 Guest_The Poison Horde_*

Guest_The Poison Horde_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

YESSS! I haven't been able to find those in a long time. years actually. The last time i had a couple, i bought them under the name "butterfly goby", they were marked as venomous, but i knew they weren't a goby. and by the time i found out they were brackish/marine well, it was too late. they don't much care for straight freshwater, at least mine didn't. any idea where i can get a couple and how big they get as adults???

#17 RaZeDaHeLL

RaZeDaHeLL

VL Owner - Miss VL

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

Thats an awesome fish daddyo ;)

#18 Guest_drayboy2000_*

Guest_drayboy2000_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

how big is the little gill breather? what are you feeding him on now? blood worms?

#19 RaZeDaHeLL

RaZeDaHeLL

VL Owner - Miss VL

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

I seen this fish at the aquarium :D

#20 Guest_Fish Finder_*

Guest_Fish Finder_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:18 AM