Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cryptly

Komodo Dragon

54 posts in this topic

I just caught half of a show about Komodo Dragons. I tuned in when the researcher was talking about the bacteria in the Dragon's mouth. I think he said something like 50 different types of nasty microbes live in the Dragon's saliva. . . ? :D Anybody know where I can find more info? I found what little I saw interesting, and I"d like to know more about the bacteria and how the Dragon "cultures" it. :lol:

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/van_anim_komodo.htm

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/komodo_dragon.htm

I seen an awesome show all about komodo's on Jeff Corwin Experiance, It showed alot of interesting facts about the lizards like the fact that they go into feed mode when they smell blood. They also eat in packs like wolves... feeding together on a huge meal.

I suppose if you ate rotting meat and never brushed your teeth you too would culture bad bacteria. :angry::D:dance: Seriously though I think it got the bacteria from the environment eons ago and passed it down generation to generation and the bacteria lives off of the rotting meat that snags in the teeth of the big lizards.

Taking some relatively new discoveries into consideration, I moved this into the venomous reptile section :P

Brian Fry has made a discovery discounting the bacteria. He discovered that they are venomous. A few other lizards as well.

Maybe some of the guys can put you on a link to his findings. :D:P:P:carrot:

Taking some relatively new discoveries into consideration, I moved this into the venomous reptile section :lol:

They are venomous?

ohhh. . .anybody got a link to the recent discoveries? And other lizards too? Wow, I'm feeling behind the times now! :Dwarf:

Fascinating!!!!

Thanks for those links! Looks like I'm going to have some reading to do during my vacation! :Dwarf:

Wow that is interesting. I always thought they just had a bad case of bacteria breath! Now thats something I DONT want to get bitten by. :)

Everything I have ever read or seen on them said its all the bacteria in their mouth thats deadly but venom I really doubt. CB komodo dragons dont carry the deadly bacteria because they are not eating all the nasty stuff that they would in the wild. I really dont think there venomous but I guess anythings possible.

Everything I have ever read or seen on them said its all the bacteria in their mouth thats deadly but venom I really doubt. CB komodo dragons dont carry the deadly bacteria because they are not eating all the nasty stuff that they would in the wild. I really dont think there venomous but I guess anythings possible.

Dr Fry has proven this wrong. Everyone has to look at things different. Just becuase it is venomous does not mean it will harm a human.

venomous does not equal death.

The same same protiens found in venom have been found in certain lizards.

The world use to be flat.

The earth use to be the center of everything

Boomslangs use to be harmless.

Get the point?

Yeah, it was recently discovred that monitors, including the KD, do have venom. Venom was also found in several other lizards, including bearded dragons. There's a thread about it around here somewhere.

I thought their bacteria came from peices of rotting flash that gets caught in their teeth, i may be wrong though.

That is where the bacteria comes from, but not the venom. They already have that. They then kill by biting a prey animal, like a deer, and letting it get away. The deer dies of blood poisoning, brought on by the bacteria. The roting carcass is then found by the dragon, who eas the rotting flesh, further maintaininmg his bacteria load.

i knew that about the bacteria but I am new to them having venom, very interesting though. I was responding to the guy that said baptive born komodo's dont have deadly bacteria. I figured they did after a few days of eating unless he is going to brush its teeth.

No, captive ones do not have deadly bacteria. They're fed a diet of mice and rats primarily. They don't get the opportunity to feed on rotting carcasses. Anything that eats meat is going to get bits of it stuck in their teeth sometimes, even people. Neither lions, killer whales, nor humans, have deadly bacteria growing in their mouths. After a while, a captiv born dragon's mouth will most certainly harbor bacteria, but it won't be the same lethal concoction their wild relatives hold.

I dont know about all that, you can't really compare a reptile to a mammal, at our zoo they have to clean the komodo's mouths to keep them from having the deadly bacteria and they are fed rats. It's just part of them, they rely on it and its going to happen.

And about comparing human, lions , and whales to komodo's, humans clean their mouth, whales have more of a bristels like teeth and they do not chew, Lions like most mammals mouths will clean themselves with their natural diet, but komodo's are going to have the bacteria at some point because of the meat getting stuck in their mouths and then rotting.

at our zoo they have to clean the komodo's mouths to keep them from having the deadly bacteria and they are fed rats

Just some info I got from a zoo keeper that i know pretty well.

I was referring more to orcas when I mentioned whales. Yeah, they will start culturing bacteria, but it will never get as bad as wild ones. More often than not the rat is swallowed whole because, well, they're small. They will grow bacteria, but unless you feed them rotting hunks of flesh that they have to rip into, it won't be quite the same. Cleaning the mouth is a good safeguard though, because monitors in general are rather good at culturing bacteria.

See here is my stance. I have not done the studies and do not qualify to say Dr Fry is wrong. This is what the guy is known for. Venom.

I bet most of the stuff ou read about venom....he had some part in it.

Edited by Gary Orner

In captivity, Komodo's are normally feed a diet of Chicken and rodents depending on the size of the animal..Miami Metro zoo feeds thiers chickens and small rabbits...Now as far as the bacteria issue goes, Komodos have virulent bacteria that grows in their mouths that is highly septic, Even in captive komodos.The bacteria they harbor is used to help break down thier food and aid in digestion much the way venom works..NOW, The ones in the wild do harbor more harmful bacteria than a captive one because they are Opportunistic feeders and will feed on about anything thats dead or dying...Thus the reason thier bite is so much more dangerous..Dr Fry is a very intelligent man and has written some great papers on Venom studies and I personally would take his word over many others...If He says they have venom, I believe it....I've sure been looking at my Argus monitor a lot different these days :dance:

Well said, MarknMiami. Dr Fry is arguably the world's leading expert on venom, and I tend to accept what he has to say on the topic.

I have the PDF the Dr. Fry wrote (e-mailed to me by a friend). If anyone wants to see it e-mail or message me and I will send it to you.

Edited by stunningscales