Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasputin

Brown recluse venom produces unexpected reaction...

1 post in this topic

A study conducted at the University of Arizona on the venom of spiders within the genus Loxosceles was published today, and Science Daily, subsequently, released a great article on it. It's one of those studies that reminds me why I love venomous animals.

My favorite quote in the article come from, researcher, Greta Binford:

"People think about the brown recluse with fear," she added. "When I think about a brown recluse or any other spider, I think about how a single spider can have 1,000 chemicals in its venom and there are about 44,000 species, so tens of millions of unique compounds in spider venom that we're in the process of discovering. We have a lot to learn about how these venom toxins work and potential for understanding new chemistry and developing new drugs or treatments."

Article: University of Arizona. "Spider venom reveals new secret: Once injected into a bite wound, venom of brown recluse spider causes unexpected reaction." ScienceDaily, 29 Aug. 2013. Web. 30 Aug. 2013.

Research paper (full): Lajoie DM, Zobel-Thropp PA, Kumirov VK, Bandarian V, Binford GJ, et al. (2013) Phospholipase D Toxins of Brown Spider Venom Convert Lysophosphatidylcholine and Sphingomyelin to Cyclic Phosphates. PLoS ONE 8(8): e72372. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0072372