I got this nest through a removal job back on July 21 2012. The colony was using and old chipmunk burrow in a ladys front yard. My guess is about 80 workers were present in the nest but I had to vacuum up 90% to complete the removal job. I got the wax cocoon cluster out with no trouble and the queen and about a dozen new workers were put into the shoe box with it. I also captured about 5 or 6 returning foragers with pollen on their legs and put those in the box. The box was sealed until after dark. I then opened a side of the box which you can see in the photos is now taped back over. The bees adapted well and the next day I observed foragers coming back with pollen on their legs. They chewed a new entry on the bottom side witch is also in the photos. It really slowed down the last couple weeks and now all I heard was a low buzz when I opened the box for photos. I never saw any males or new queens so I am not sure if any were produced.
Comment and enjoy!
Edited by 009Aaa, 30 September 2012 - 05:05 AM.