harleyhunter

Blaptica dubia setup

8 posts in this topic

of 50 Blaptica dubia I have being shipped to me next week. I have the tupperware container, egg crates, water crysatl with gut load, and plenty of dry and fruit food. One question though... Do I lay all the egg crates on top of each other horizontal or stacked together vertically? Thanks for any help guys!

-Sam

What I did is I broke up larger egg crates into smaller little pieces of egg crate. (Like what you find in a cricket bag from a petstore) I then just made a Large pile of these on one side of my cage. If you are sticking to the larger pieces of crate I would probably lay them horizontally instead of vertically these guys are really very poor at climbing.

Hope this helps.

I've tried a few different configurations, and the best I've found is to stack them on their end vertically, so the frass/molts/etc fall to the bottom. This way works better for getting roaches, can get to all of them easily. I have a bunch of paper towel rolls and tp tubes all crammed together next to my egg flats, then some more egg flats covering all the tubes, and they love those tubes. Pick one up and it's got a hundred in it, can't even see through it.

Here's a pic, most scattered when i opened the lid, theres about 600 in there though.

Picture1316.jpg

Edit: just saw you said you had gut load? if this is the commmercial cricket gutload you are talking about, that will kill your roaches. A friend of mine killed off his colony I gave him doing that. It can/will cause them to get impacted. I feed mine 50% dog food/ 50% oats ground upabnd the occasional apple/potato/etc.

Edited by Xaranx

My colony is just starting to really take off now, and they are in vertically stacked egg crates.

B. dubia aren't the best climbers, but there is plenty of purchase on an egg crate for them, and as another poster has mentioned, the frass will simply fall to the bottom.

Don't overfeed IMO - small amounts more often until you can judge consumption a little better is the way to go. Mouldy food is the precursor to bigger problems...

:tongue0013: (love this emoticon!)

hmmm... i think its more nice if its in a clean way of dressing the set-up like a stand of three parts..

1 person likes this

Speaking of dubias I need to get some. This might be the wrong place to post this, if so an admin can delete or move. I was wondering if anyone could send me just enough dubias to start a colony. Maybe free and I'll pay for shipping? If not I'll pay for the dubias and the shipping.

All I've seen for sale on sites are for like 50-100, and they seem a bit pricey to me. I figured someone on here has to be a lot better on the prices.

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 person likes this

Alright guys this is out of the ordinary for me but Im breeding Blaptica Dubia. That would be the Guyana Orange Spotted Roach. Ive got about 500 of these guys right now and plan on making quite a few "super colonies". Lets just say that Id like to see 6 figures in the future and I aint talking about money....

My question is this. If any of you breed these guys for feeders and what not how often should I clean out their enclosure and change out the egg crates. Ive heard every 3-4 months and Ive heard every 5-6 months. Not that it probably matters but Im gonna take a stab at it and say every 6 months or so.

WHY do you ask that Im breeding a hoard of roaches? Well Ive been a HUGE lizard freak since I couldnt hit the toilet standing up, but I was TOTALLY discouraged because I absolutely hate crickets. Therefore Im breeding up a colony of Roaches, planning on spreading the word of their benefits and probably going to end up w/ too many lizards to boot. Either way I love the roaches. No smell. No sound. No escapees. And gutloading them? Well they devour food like the bunch of raving nematoads in that classic Sponge Bob episode where they ate his house.

Either way... Any info on when to clean them would be pisser. Ive got all the other husbandry facts down and they are pretty happy w/ their cool 93 degree temps right now.

And BTW... I like my beers cold. Roaches fat. And RTBs right around 8

Thanks guys

-Ian