Guest buthus

Place your bets!

25 posts in this topic

L.geometricus-S.grossa showdown.

They have been staring each other down for a few days now.

I will place my bet on the grossa. She has the patience and skills to take even the greatest latro hunter. Natural born widow killer she is. :woot:

geo-A1--SG_showdown_00.jpg

HA! That's hilarious. The geo will throw it down on the grossa BIG TIME!

Think so do ya? ^_^:Band:

So far, this is where the standoff is at...

Several skirmishes faught that I witnessed ...all out comb-foot webbing battles! ...so far, I give all points to the grossa. ;)

The grossa has succussfully forced the geo out of her den. Big time points for grossa for that move! ;) She (the geo) wont even attempt to go near her hide anymore.

Nope... I gotta still go with the grossa. Anything could happen, but from what I have observed in the "wild", even the mighty hesperus fall prey to those "evil" dwellers of darker places. :woot:

Edited by buthus

Yep video would be cool, but this fight will probaby take days ...if not longer. They do more stare downs then sword play.. hours between battles. Ive had grossa live with hesperus for months. They just wait until the big girls get too fat and clumbsy to outmaneuver the relentless little devils.

I just watched the pathetic geo get chased to the top of the enclosure. She didnt even try to defend herself this time and the grossa's attacks have gotten much more aggressive and very calculated ...she keeps trying to hit the geo from the side (which is smart when dealing with a larger web thrower)

Now Im definately rooting for the grossa ...just to see the the little girl burst some of your latro bubbles! ;):woot:

Edited by buthus

that whole running away thing is actually a highly calculated move by the L. geo. she's got something up her, er..trichobothria. I only have one question for the GROSSa- what are you going to do when the geometricus starts spitting venom from her fangs like a freakin' cobra? Huh? Yeah, run you little "other" theridiidae...

that whole running away thing is actually a highly calculated move by the L. geo. she's got something up her, er..trichobothria. I only have one question for the GROSSa- what are you going to do when the geometricus starts spitting venom from her fangs like a freakin' cobra? Huh? Yeah, run you little "other" theridiidae...

haha, :D

My money's on S. grossa.

HA! That's hilarious. The geo will throw it down on the grossa BIG TIME!

Yeah I agree with every thing you said! Take your seats people for the Friday night widow smack down! :D Keep us posted. And if you can film it that would be great!

Edited by Black Widow

My bets are for the L. geometricus!

Well, pay up then buds, because this aint no idiotville YouTube "get drunk and throw some scary spiders into the ring and poke at them until something happens" crap ...no, ladies, this is spider fight club.

geo-A1--SG_shwdwn-kill_03.jpg

geo-A1--SG_shwdwn-kill_01.jpg

geo-A1--SG_shwdwn-kill_02.jpg

...and whats the first rule of spider fight club?

Edited by buthus

:dance: Holy crap...I can't believe that grossa took out the geo. OK I'll be the first to admit Buthus was right and I was wrong.

How long have they been together before one was killed? Did you witness it?

How long have they been together before one was killed? Did you witness it?

Cant remember if I put her in there on the 10th or 11th, but the final blow must have happened late morning of the 14th ...so a few days of turmoil. Unfortunately, I did not witness the kill.

I cant say that this was not completely unmanipulated because of two main factors. One, if this happened in nature and/or in an open enclosure, the geo would have been able to leave.(no doubt she would have moved on) She was chased to the top and the grossa was content with the fact that she shooed the competition away.

Two ...before I left them on their own and while the geo was hanging towards the top of the enclosure, I attempted to add some prey ...an earwig... one of this geos staple foods. But, she was way too on edge and when the earwig wiggled around in the web, the geo did a ball-up and dropped to the bottom of the enclosure. This was her final mistake. I watched for several hours after that as she slowly attempted to make her way back up... half inch moves every 15 minuted or so. Each movement helped the grossa pin-point the geos position. I left them when she was about a quarter of the way up. I bet the grossa took her out soon after that. The strongest attack for either of these girls is a downward one. The geo was in a bad place once below the grossa.

This geo was actually my spider garbage disposal. She has had the pleasure of eating many "extra" and aged spiders. Including a few grossa. I knew this grossa was going to give her trouble when she lost the first fight (she failed what normally would have been a quick snare and kill). The grossa had no problem avoiding being snared and was able to throw some back at the geo with greater accuracy. The geo was far too hesitent during approach attempts after that initial skirmish. She confronted something as/more deadly than she was and this adjusted her attitude greatly. ;)

I miss her already! :) One if her prodigy will replace her, but I better remove the little latro slayer first! :D

HaHa, you guys should have read up on S. grossa! :):headchopper:

:haha: Yeah I should've. Thanks for the link! I'm going to add this to my insect blog.

But I better remove the little latro slayer first :)

Good idea you don't want this killer to finish off any of your other latros. But that's amazing though. Wish I could've seen it.

Edited by Black Widow

This geo was actually my spider garbage disposal. She has had the pleasure of eating many "extra" and aged spiders. Including a few grossa. I knew this grossa was going to give her trouble when she lost the first fight (she failed what normally would have been a quick snare and kill). The grossa had no problem avoiding being snared and was able to throw some back at the geo with greater accuracy. The geo was far too hesitent during approach attempts after that initial skirmish. She confronted something as/more deadly than she was and this adjusted her attitude greatly. :)

So, are geos known for preying on other spiders themselves? Did you initially put the grossa in there as food for her?

Did you initially put the grossa in there as food for her?

Yep, usuallly she takes care of whatever I throw in there ...but with grossa, it can be a role reversal as demonstrated. Of course I am always hoping for something interesting to happen ...and when I saw her mess up her initial attack, I had a feeling that this would be worth taking some shots and posting.

Ive talked a lot about grossa as one of the main controllers of the latro population around my area ...hard to prove without a demo or two. :)

You what?! I thought you put her in there just to see who would win not to feed it! How dare you! :)

So, are geos known for preying on other spiders themselves? Did you initially put the grossa in there as food for her?

Widows are wait and "listen" opportunists. Whatever comes along that they can handle is fair game. Besides, there is a good chance that a widows first meal or two consisted of a sibling(s). Learn it young and it will stay with you! :Party2:

Anyone want to buy a nice geometricus?

geo-A1--SG_carcass_00.jpg

This roach has been living with the geo for over a month now. Forgot about it ...until our little grossa flushed it out of its hideout. Great carcass cleaner.

geo-A1_resident-janitorial-staff_00.jpg

And a special homage to our little dragonslayer...

geo-A1--SG_dragonslayer_01.jpg

Trying to find out if its true that dragonslayers inherit the powers of their kill. Thats a tough one to prove though. :party1:

geo-A1--SG_dragonslayer_02.jpg

geo-A1--SG_dragonslayer_03.jpg

I guess not. I wanna hold the dragom slayer! :whistling:

You're welcome to her if you want her. :roll: Though, I'm sure you could find one hangin' around when it warms up.

I know I'll see one! If I'm lucky it'll be in my bedroom closet.....then I can keep her without my mom knowing because she never goes in there....too messy! :whistling: