- - - - -

Scorpions in Virginia?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mreightlegz18_*

Guest_mreightlegz18_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

is it true that they got a scorpion here in Virginia and if so wut kind is it and where can u find it??? i live i nlexington, virginia and i dont think u can get it anywhere nere me!!!!!

#2 Scott-Land

Scott-Land

Superstition!!

• VL Supporter
  • 15,258 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

is it true that they got a scorpion here in Virginia and if so wut kind is it and where can u find it??? i live i nlexington, virginia and i dont think u can get it anywhere nere me!!!!!

Welcome fellow Virginian ;)
not to far south west of you there are V.carolinianus scorps

#3 Guest_barkscorpions_*

Guest_barkscorpions_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:42 PM

Heya Justin,

Welcome to VL.

As Scott states above, Vaejovis carolinianus occurs in VA (Lee Co., Cumberland Gap). These are small dusky brown to dark brown scorpions that belong to the mexicanus group of genus Vaejovis. They are not harmful to humans (a sting is painful but local symptoms are of short duration) and small in total length: adult males 25-35 mm; adult females 30-40 mm (~1-1.5"). Pectine tooth counts (PTC): males 14-17; females 11-15.

Take care...Luc

#4 Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*

Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

Heya Justin,

Welcome to VL.

As Scott states above, Vaejovis carolinianus occurs in VA (Lee Co., Cumberland Gap). These are small dusky brown to dark brown scorpions that belong to the mexicanus group of genus Vaejovis. They are not harmful to humans (a sting is painful but local symptoms are of short duration) and small in total length: adult males 25-35 mm; adult females 30-40 mm (~1-1.5"). Pectine tooth counts (PTC): males 14-17; females 11-15.

Take care...Luc

Hey Luc,

You really impress me with your vast knowledge in scorps, specifically in the genus Vaejovis. Everything is complete from distribution to the pectine count. Keep it up!

Gian

#5 Guest_barkscorpions_*

Guest_barkscorpions_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:57 AM

Heya Justin,

Welcome to VL.

Take care...Luc

Hey Luc,

You really impress me with your vast knowledge in scorps, specifically in the genus Vaejovis. Everything is complete from distribution to the pectine count. Keep it up!

Gian

Gian,

You're gonna make me blush! LOL

Wish I could take the credit but it's nothing more than the advantage of having a vast library of related literature and highly-knowledgeable friends that are willing to share their knowledge.
Regarding Vaejovis: It's strange that up until this past year, I had little interest in any Vaejovis spp. and thought them to be boring. Now, they've become one of my favorite groups of scorps especially those of the Eusthenura and Punctipalpi groups, and I now discover that they tend to be vastly of more interest than most exotic species.
Hopefully, after my return from Texas in the spring and Kentucky in early summer, I'll have 10-12 (out of 17 currently recognized) Vaejovis species in my collection and 5-7 Paruroctonus species as well. Gonna be a good year me thinks! LOL
BTW, how are all of your "kids" doing?

Take care...Luc

#6 Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*

Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:47 AM

Luc,

Wow! Goodluck with your scorpion collection. Kids are doing fine. I've distributed most of it but I still have a lot at home. A lot of my hobbyist friends here in the Philippines with V.spinigerus in their collection has also popped. As far as I know 7 V.spinigerus moms popped in the last month or so. So I guess we have now more VS than the state of Texas. hehe.

Gian

#7 Guest_barkscorpions_*

Guest_barkscorpions_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

Luc,

Wow! Goodluck with your scorpion collection. Kids are doing fine. I've distributed most of it but I still have a lot at home. A lot of my hobbyist friends here in the Philippines with V.spinigerus in their collection has also popped. As far as I know 7 V.spinigerus moms popped in the last month or so. So I guess we have now more VS than the state of Texas. hehe.

Gian

Gian,

You definitely have more V. spinigerus than Texas! LOL
By any chance, anyone over there keeping track of the numbers of offspring per brood? So far, brood range is 58-77. I'm always looking for data regarding Paruroctonus and Vaejovis: Brood numbers, duration of parturition, gestation periods, courtship details, dispersal rates, etc. Thanks!

Luc

#8 Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*

Guest_Simpleng_Garapal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:21 AM

Luc,

I wasn't able to ask the others but 2 of my colleagues mentioned to me that their brood was also around 60-70 range. Other details you're asking I don't know anymore. Sorry.

Gian

Copyright © 2014 IPS, inc